The Department of State Development has five divisions:
- Policy and Economic Development, which develops and leads the delivery of key Government resources, industry and infrastructure initiatives
- Resources and Industry Development, which leads and assists the development and expansion of Western Australia’s resources and industry sectors as well as managing the State’s network of international offices
- Agribusiness Expansion, which assists the development of export markets and supports major agribusiness projects
- Legal and Commercial Strategy, which provides and coordinates specialist legal advice across the Department
- Corporate Services, which provides efficient and appropriate corporate services to management and staff across the Department.
Steve joined the Department as Director General in May 2011. His public service career started in 1979 in Canberra and he has worked in three Commonwealth and three State public sector agencies. Steve was also a Commissioner of the Western Australian Industrial Relations Commission for ten years.
Deputy Director General, Resources and Industry Development
Geoffrey joined the Department as Deputy Director General in September 2016. He has a wealth of resources-related experience, particularly in oil and gas, mineral sands, and iron ore, across both the public and private sectors.
Deputy Director General, Policy and Economic Development
Joe has been with the Department since 2006, and was appointed to his current position in 2014. He has worked on significant projects for the state including the Gorgon LNG project, and the Roy Hill iron ore project. Prior to joining the Department, Joe worked for the Australian Government in the area of international trade finance and risk management.
Special Adviser, Agribusiness Expansion
Rob’s appointment was announced in March, 2016. Prior to joining the department he was Director General of the Department of Agriculture and Food for more than six years, and has also served as Deputy Secretary of the Federal Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.
Director, Corporate Services
Steve joined the department in 2011 from the Forest Products Commission of WA. He has a range of financial, marketing and management experience in both the government and private sectors.
Principal Counsel, Legal and Commercial Strategy
Pamela joined the Department in 2011. Pamela’s previous positions include University Secretary and Special Legal Counsel at the University of Western Australia and General Counsel at Curtin University in Western Australia. Pamela was the first national president of the Australian Corporate Lawyers Association – the association for in-house counsel – from Western Australia.