For further information about activities undertaken by the Chief Scientist of Western Australia, you can follow Professor Peter Klinken on Twitter.
The following articles have been published in The West Australian as a series of opinion pieces by Professor Klinken:
- Science the key to prosperity - May 2016
- Harnessing 'big data' a key to WA future - June 2016
- STEM can bear fruit of Olympic inheritance - August 2016
- Science on the menu to create a dining boom - September 2016
Professor Klinken participated in the following radio interviews in 2016:
- 720 ABC Breakfast – science in schools and careers in science - May 2016
- 720 ABC Breakfast – Square Kilometre Array project, science in WA and future jobs - June 2016
- ABC Radio National Breakfast – big data - July 2016
- 720 ABC Breakfast – Premier’s Science Awards - July 2016
- 720 ABC Breakfast – National Science Week - August 2016
- Data Linkage Review – Professor Klinken chaired the Data Linkage Expert Advisory Group which undertook a review of WA’s data linkage capabilities. A report was submitted to the Premier in mid-December 2016. For more information visit the Data Linkage Review page.
- Steering Committee for the Blueprint for Marine Science Initiative Implementation Strategy 2016-18 – Professor Klinken co-chairs the Steering Committee which was convened in 2016.
- Science and Agribusiness Connect (SAC) – Professor Klinken chaired the evaluation panel for the Premier’s Agriculture and Food Fellowship Program which resulted in the appointment of Professor Simon Cook in August 2016. Professor Klinken also chaired the panel for Round 1 of the Premier’s Agriculture and Aquaculture Entrepreneurship Program which resulted in four scholarships being awarded. For more information visit the SAC page.
- 2nd International Conference on Science Advice to Government – Professor Klinken travelled to Brussels to attend the conference and also visited a number of science and technology parks/hubs in and around London.
- Premier’s Science Awards – Professor Klinken chaired the judging panel for the 2016 Premier’s Science Awards and undertook the role of Master of Ceremonies at the presentation ceremony on 18 August 2016. For more information visit the Science Awards.
- Chief Scientist’s STEM Education Working Group – Professor Klinken chairs the Working Group which was convened in 2016 and comprises representatives of the schools sectors, teacher professional associations, universities, training and workforce development and industry.
- WA Science Hall of Fame – on 6 December 2016, Professor Klinken assisted in the unveiling of Professor Ian Ritchie’s citation on the WA Science Hall of Fame honour board, located at Scitech. The life, work and achievements of Professor Ian Ritchie were celebrated with his posthumous induction into the Hall of Fame. For more information visit the WA Science Hall of Fame page.